Project Engineer for Stormwater |
BHC Consultants is a consulting engineering, planning, and building code and construction compliance firm with offices in Seattle, Tacoma, and Bellingham, Washington. We are currently seeking a full time Stormwater Project Engineer with experience in stormwater management planning, modeling, and design to join our engineering group in one of our three office locations. Collaboration with staff in all offices should be expected; preferred location can be prioritized.
BHC is a growing firm with a significant backlog of municipal consulting services contracts for cities, counties, and special purpose districts in the Northwest, supported primarily by Western Washington clients. We are proud to be an employee-owned and managed consulting firm committed to the development and retention of our employees within a positive, collaborative, and challenging work environment. We are committed to a healthy work-life balance for all staff.
BHC has a growing surface water and stormwater practice and is assisting many different clients in the Puget Sound region with their stormwater management needs including planning, modeling, alternatives analyses, design, services during construction, permitting, code compliance review, and on-call support. BHC has the staff and expertise to serve several larger municipalities but is also adaptable and efficient enough to serve smaller municipalities. Our stormwater engineers provide stormwater design services for local municipalities including flood control, water quality, and pipe repair/replacement improvement projects. We also support other disciplines within BHC, such as stormwater design for solid waste landfill development and closure projects; wastewater treatment plant outfall repair or replacement projects; water and wastewater pump station projects; and utilities related permitting for site development or stream crossing projects.
BHC is continually learning about, engaging with, and evaluating new technologies for our clients including stormwater treatment and flow control BMPs. We utilize and stay up to date on many different modeling platforms, including MGS Flood, WWHM, XPSWMM, PCSWMM, InfoSWMM, MikeUrban, FlowMaster, HEC-RAS, HY-8, and others.
The Project Engineer will:
- Have a key role in the continued growth of the company by helping to maintain relationships and execute projects with existing clients and helping to develop new clients and projects.
- Demonstrate work experience in municipal civil engineering, primarily focused on stormwater design, modeling, permitting, and construction.
- Be primarily responsible for executing projects involving stormwater, but also be flexible in working on other civil engineering projects based on workload and project needs.
- Demonstrate strong time management skills including the ability to work independently as well as within a team to deliver quality projects on time.
- Demonstrate strong writing skills for the purpose of preparing Drainage Reports in accordance with local stormwater requirements (primarily the Ecology Stormwater Management Manual and King County Surface Water Design Manual).
- Demonstrate experience developing plans, specifications, and cost estimates for public works contracts.
- Bachelor of Science (Civil or Environmental Engineering).
- Licensed Professional Engineer. State of Washington PE license required within 6 months of date of hire.
- 5+ years demonstrated success working on multi‐disciplinary engineering projects.
- Demonstrated success working on stormwater projects including planning, modeling, design, permitting, and services during construction.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- A positive attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee‐owned culture.
- Experience with stormwater modeling software (e.g., MGS Flood, WWHM, SWMM)
- Desire to work in the office in-person approximately 50% of the time (this is not a fully remote position).
- Proficient with MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), MS Project, and Bluebeam.
The following would also be of benefit:
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD, Civil 3D, and GIS software products
- Professional society involvement
- Project management or task management experience
- Experience reviewing drainage permit applications for regulatory agencies and municipalities in accordance with appropriate stormwater codes and manuals
Why Join Our Team?
- Generous total compensation package
- Monthly commute/home office stipend for transportation, parking, home office expenses
- Monthly cell phone stipend with business necessity
- 100% company paid employee medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 60% company paid dependent health and vision insurance
- 50% company paid dependent dental insurance
- Health Savings Account and Flexible Spending Account options to achieve tax savings
- Flexible schedules
- Reimbursement for professional registrations/renewals and approved training/conferences
- Paid memberships in professional organizations
- Employee referral bonus program
- Career guide mentorship program
- Paid time off (sick, vacation, holidays, and volunteer day)
- 401(k) retirement plan with company matching contribution
- We offer broad based company ownership to employees at all levels, with no majority owners, and where everyone can share in the benefits of ownership. This model is unique to BHC and gives us local control, ease of leadership transition, flexibility, and the freedom to control our destiny.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BHC Consultants, LLC is an equal opportunity employer committed to the principles of non-discrimination in the workplace. BHC Consultants, LLC does not discriminate in employment on the basis of age, race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, marital status or any other basis that is prohibited by federal, state, or local law.